Monday, April 23, 2012

Perfection

Wasn't sure what to write about today. I keep thinking that I should write something inspiring, thoughtful, and just downright amazing. The only amazing thing is how much internal pressure I put myself under. I'm like many other people who underestimate themselves. No matter how good we are, we always feel that we could do better and unfortunately that leads to feeling not good enough. Never good enough. I try to remember to do my best every day and that simply means what ever I was able to do that day. Pretty simple really. The internal perfectionist loves to try to deny that one, but it can't.

It likes to say things like "Well, your best isn't as good a this person's best." or "You didn't try hard enough, so you didn't do your best." or even "What's the matter with you even a child could do better." (if the perfectionist is feeling particularly nasty). But don't listen to it. Every day you do your best. Everyday you get better at the things you do. You get stronger, faster and smarter with every new experience you have. You are perfect the way you are and you will get better. Focus on what you are doing and let somebody else do the scorekeeping. Better yet do it without a grade. Don't let that preschool crap get to you, it's all nonsense.

Enjoy each moment, feel the adventure of life unfolding around you, breathe deeply and relax. It's not a dog and pony show.

No comments:

Post a Comment